October 26, 2011

Lino Cutting My Way

I've been working on some prints for a mini prints competition.
I don't really expect anything to come of it but I've used the competition excuse to boot myself into making a series of related lino prints.
Here's an example of how I've been working - mind you, this isn't strictly the 'right way' to do this, I'm self taught here so this is just my way of doing things.

There are two ways I usually start:
Create a drawing on paper or draw the image directly onto the lino.


If I've gone with the pen and ink drawing then I usually trace the image onto tracing paper and transfer it to the lino block.


I begin by cutting out all around the outside of the linework with a small v-gauge.


Then I cut around the inside of the linework and start cutting away the filled white within the linework using the small v and u shaped cutters.


I cut away the excess lino with a blade.


Then begin cutting away the area outside the image.


 Once finished cutting I gather my materials and choose my papers - this also includes some cartridge paper for test prints.


Test my print while making small adjustments to the lino cut between prints until I'm happy with it.


Create my artist proofs before printing the final prints.


And that's it! :D



*

1 comment:

  1. Vee, the painting on the right in that bottom photo looks BEAUTIFUL! Please post a proper photo or scan of it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Other Relevant Links

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs